High Deductible Plan F vs. High Deductible Plan G

High Deductible Plan F vs. High Deductible Plan G

One of the biggest recent changes in Medigap Plans is the removal of Plan F. For all Medicare beneficiaries that become eligible after January 1, 2020, Plan F and High Deductible Plan F will no longer be an option. Plan F was known for being the most comprehensive coverage plan. It will still be available for those who became eligible for Medicare before 2020. Instead, new Medicare beneficiaries will have the option of High Deductible Plan G

In some states, Medicare Supplement Plan F and Plan G offer a high deductible plan. With these plans, you are responsible for paying all Medicare-covered costs (including coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles) up to the deductible amount of $2,340 in 2020 before the plan will pay anything.

Regular Plan F

Plan F’s coverage applies immediately, and you have no out-of-pocket costs for anything covered under Original Medicare. Plan F has the most coverage available of the ten Medigap plans. It covers the Part A and Part B deductible and Part A hospice care and skilled nursing facility care coinsurance or copayment. Part B coinsurance or copayment are also covered as well as excess charges. Plan F will cover your first three pints of blood and 80 percent of a foreign travel emergency.

High Deductible Plan F

Under High Deductible Plan F, Original Medicare will pay 80 percent for Medicare-covered services, leaving you with the remaining 20 percent. Your Part A and Part B deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments will go toward the Plan F deductible, but your Medicare and Medigap premiums will not go toward out-of-pocket.

Coverage kicks in after out-of-pocket expenses reach what is called the calendar year deductible. This plan has a much lower monthly premium than the regular Plan F. This plan is only available if you first became eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020. If you are in good health, scarcely seek medical treatment, and can afford the deductible amount in case a medical emergency occurs, this plan may be a good option.

Regular Plan G

Plan G covers the Part A deductible and Part A hospice care and skilled nursing facility care coinsurance or copayment. It also covers Part B excess charges and Part B coinsurance or copayment but does not pay the Part B deductible. Your first three pints of blood and 80 percent of a foreign travel emergency are also covered.

High Deductible Plan G

High Deductible Plan G is new in 2020. It has the same $2,340 in 2020 deductible as the High Deductible Plan F. As with High Deductible Plan F, coverage for High Deductible Plan G does not kick in until you reach the $2,340 deductible. As with the case of the F plans, the monthly premium for this high deductible plan should be lower than its regular Plan G counterpart. You are eligible for High Deductible Plan G if you became eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020.

The only difference between Plan F and Plan G is that Plan G does not cover the Part B deductible. The Part B deductible is $198 in 2020. Seniors can still receive a substantial amount of savings if they choose Plan G. Plan G’s High Deductible counterpart will be a good option for those who do not need treatment frequently and have a fixed budget.

Turning 65 Solutions can help you plan for the future.