Medicare Part A

Original Medicare consists of two parts — Parts A and B. Part A covers inpatient hospital care.

What Medicare Part A Covers

  1. Inpatient hospital care: This involves all care you receive after a physician admits you into a hospital. Medicare covers up to 90 days for each benefit period in a normal hospital. Additionally, you get 60 lifetime reserve days. Plus, it covers up to 190 lifetime days in a psychiatric hospital that is Medicare certified.  
  2. Skilled nursing facility care: Medicare covers your room and board, and some services provided in a skilled nursing facility. These include tube feedings, wound care, and medications. Medicare covers up to 100 days each benefit period. In order to qualify, you need to have spent at least three ensuing days in the hospital within 30 days of admission to a skilled nursing facility. Plus, you must have required skilled nursing or therapy services.    
  3. Home health care: While Part B typically covers this, Part A coverage will ensue if you have spent at least three successive days in the hospital within 14 days of receiving home care. Medicare covers up to 100 days of daily care or an unlimited amount of periodic care. 
  4. Hospice care: Medicare covers hospice care for as long as your provider deems it necessary. 

Get A Free Quote

Eligibility for Medicare Part A

In most cases, people are eligible at age 65 if they are already collecting retirement benefits from the Social Security Administration. You can also qualify if you have end-stage renal disease, a disability, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (aka Lou Gehrig’s disease). You have to be either a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident of at least five consecutive years.

Medicare Part A Cost

Part A typically has no cost. You paid specific taxes during your working years that were meant for future Medicare coverage. If you have worked for at least 10 years in the U.S., you will not pay anything, most of the time. If you have worked less than 10 years, you can still purchase Medicare Part A as long as you have been a legal resident or have obtained a green card for at least five years.  

For the latest premium costs, call a Texas State licensed insurance broker today. You can call our office at 830-217-6711.