What Does Medigap Plan D Cover?
First, remember that Medigap Plan D and Medicare Part D are not the same thing. Medicare Supplement Plan D does not cover prescription drugs. In fact, no Medigap plan covers prescription drugs.
But Medigap Plan D provides coverage for the following:
- Part A deductible
- Part A hospice care copayments
- Part B copayment
- Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
- The first three pints of blood for a medical procedure
- 80% of foreign travel emergency costs (up to plan limits)
- Part A hospital coinsurance and costs for an extra 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
Medigap Plan D does not cover Medicare Part B’s excess charges or deductible. Medicare accepts up to 15% excess charges. Some states disallow for this, so ask Ron Ray if this coverage is necessary, and he will gladly sift through it. If your state (like Texas) allows for excess charges, there are Medigap plans that do cover them.